Around the holidays, thoughts often turn to family and friends. We spend November counting our blessings and December finding tangible ways to bless those we love. For many in our community, however, family is one blessing they don’t have and tops on their list of things to request from Santa.
Fathers play an indispensable role in our society, and the damage done when children are deprived of stable male role models cannot be overstated. The Family Foundation Fund, according to their mission statement, serves to provide “a comprehensive, multi-year, mentoring program in which mature, loving adult males and their families act as surrogate fathers to establish long-term relationships with disadvantaged teens, ages ten years old and older. These men assist the teens from Nashville area homes with absentee fathers and assist them in becoming successful, mature citizens and future fathers.
The statistics surrounding the detrimental effects on those who don’t have parents, particularly a loving father, are staggering. The blog “The Fatherless Generation” has gathered some of the most chilling:
- 90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes – 32 times the average.
- 85% of all children who show behavior disorders come from fatherless homes – 20 times the average. (Center for Disease Control)
- 80% suffer from anger problems that come from fatherless homes –14 times the average. (Justice & Behavior, Vol 14, p. 403-26)
- 71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes – 9 times the average. (National Principals Association Report)”
- “63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes (US Dept. Of Health/Census) – 5 times the average.
The Family Foundation Fund is one of several local ministries and non-profits that Johnston & Associates helps support. A father himself, Scott is passionate about seeing the boys and young men of Brentwood, Fairview, Franklin, Nashville, Spring Hill, and the Middle Tennessee area reach their full potential. As clients of Johnston & Associates, proceeds from your payments will go directly to valuable organizations like this.
For more information on getting involved with The Family Foundation fund, click here. If you are in need of insurance coverage for your business, cars, or homes, contact Scott and his team today. Entrust what matters to you to someone who knows what matters most.